The Nigerian Army spokesperson who addressed a press conference on Tuesday to announce that the army could not find General Muhammadu Buhari’s school leaving certificate in its records, had already been redeployed from that post, military sources say
Besides, those documents had just been released to General Buhari, less than 24 hours after the former Head of State requested them, and the sources said they were surprised Brigadier Olaleye Lajide was addressing the press. He was supposed to have handed over to his successor, Colonel SK Usman, and assumed duty as the Brigade Commander of the Fourth Brigade Battalion in Benin City, Edo State.
Of the documents, Buhari’s aides said the presidential candidate had not had a chance to look at them since they were sent to his office in Abuja last night by one Major General Abba, while he was busy preparing for campaigns and Kano and Jigawa States.
SaharaReporters sources said it was unclear why Brigadier Olaleye, rather than hand over to Colonel Usman, chose to call a press conference to discuss Buhari’s certificates.
Meanwhile, Buhari has called a press conference of his own for tomorrow morning. Garba Shehu, Director of Media and Publicity in the APC presidential campaign, said the general will speak about the certificate controversity.
Olaleye’s brief stint as the Nigerian Army spokesperson was characterized by controversy. It was he who accused SaharaReporters of supporting Boko Haram because our platform published a comprehensive letter written by an army commander stating why corruption within the highest hierarchy of the Nigerian armed forces has made it impossible for the army to defeat the insurgents.
Following our publication of that letter, the GOC of the 7th Division who was accused of corruption in the letter, was replaced a few days ago.