Message: Understanding the Times 2: Social Media
Preacher: Pastor Sarah Omakwu (Senior Pastor, FWC)
References: 2 Tim 3:1-7, 2 Corinthians 2:11, 1 Peter 5:8, Mathew 28:18-19
Today, we are continuing the series ‘Understanding the Times’, and we will take a closer look at Social Media and how we can use it for the Gospel.
The responsibility for you to grow as a Christian largely depends on you because you are alone most of the time, and what you do affects how you live spiritually.
We have observed that people spend an average of 3hrs on social media every day hence we cannot take this for granted. If you spend the time spent on social media on the things of God, you will be a better Christian.
What is Social Media?
Social media are computer mediated tools that allow people to create, share, or exchange information –ideas, pictures, videos and music in virtual communities and networks.
WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT SOCIAL MEDIA?
1. Social media is a world of its own with its rules and language. It is the largest global community so we cannot afford to ignore it or pretend that it’s not relevant.
2. It has more people on it than any community. Example if Facebook were a country it would be bigger than China
3. Social media is mostly used in private hence there is a high tendency for temptation.
4. It is a mass information highway bigger than any library or any university
5. It is the world’s most accessible and extensive commercial portal- bigger than any shop, shipping line or courier service, making it the preferred platform for advertising, promotion, marketing, recruitment and engagement.
6. It is the most intrusive of all media as it gets into your privacy whether you like it or not (its level of intrusion can however be controlled by settings you apply on your Internet). It’s not like TV or radio that cannot obtain information about you. The Internet on your phone can actually identify your location wherever you are on the globe and stores places you visit frequently.
7. It is the most effective and most widely used vehicle for propagating ideas and ideologies
THE EVIL OF SOCIAL MEDIA
1. Satan has taken advantage of it to sell his ideas, ideologies and lies.
2. Perversion of relationships- lack of intimacy, social isolation (has taken the place of visits),
3. Islamic fundamentalism/terrorism – fundamentalists have used it to sell ideology and have recruited more foreign members through it than through any other means.
5. Invention of and access to evil information- e.g. learn witchcraft and voodoo, join cults, make bombs. A lot of information is on wikihow
6. Addiction to the Internet/ social media- it’s a thief of time
7. Baits of satan- e.g.do you want to make 10,000 dollars a day? People use social media to sell things that are not Godly.
The time has come for the Church to use social media for what God intended.
As we sit here today there are 3 categories of Christians
Group 1 -They want nothing to do with social media, they are like the Christians of the 70’s who took TV as the devil’s box
Group 2- The trending Christian who wants to belong, he retweets and shares everything. He sees social media as a hangout (place of gossip, chatting) or a place of commerce (buying stuff); a place for business.
Group 3- The Christian who uses social media purposefully for the sake of the gospel.
Which group do you belong to?
As Christians we should take advantage of social media.
ADVANTAGES AND POSITIVE USES OF SOCIAL MEDIA
1. Sharing information –
a) World evangelism
b) Encourage positive learning and growth e.g. academic research, biblical study tools, live streaming
2. Promote and defend Christ-like values
3. Encourage positive networking – economic, relationships, social
4. Saves time, money and energy. Saves the need to travel, hence it reduces risk.
5. Gives individuals power to influence and effect change e.g. Arab spring, bring back our girls, Nigerian elections.
I want you to know that as an Individual you have the power to effect change, influence your world and make an impact. It will surprise you what you can achieve and what we collectively can achieve if we take advantage of social media.
We are starting a social media campaign for God with the Hashtag #LoveLife
Visit and like our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/fwcnigeria
Twitter: @FWCAbuja Instagram: @fwcabuja WhatsApp: 081-51521265
Get the video and audio formats from the Tape Room in the Church Office. And follow on #socialmedia with #TheTimes #wwjt