Message: Understanding the Times 3: Trends and Fads
Preacher: Pastor Wilson Akubo (Pastor, Youth and Children’s Church)
Scriptures: Timothy 3:1-5 Romans 12:1-2
Paul, speaking in Romans 12:1-2 says
“…I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God…”
We are in a time that needs to be understood, so we can as Christians avoid the things that non-Christians do. This message is aimed at achieving the following:
1. To point out the current trends and fads in our society
2. To remind us that we are in the world, but we are not of the world.
3. To also remind us that We are holy, so we cannot partake of the un-holy things of the society.
What is Trend and Fads?
A Fad is any behavior that develops among a group of people. A Trend on the other hand, is like a fad but it stays longer.
It is something that majority of people begin to do because they “want to belong” and it stays permanent. Trend and fads can be used interchangeably. Fads are generally quick and short but Trends are behaviors that evolve into relatively permanent change.
Fads and Trends include escalated rebellion, Body alterations i.e tattoos. Ear piercings; Fashion or media induced nudity. Hedonism-extreme pursuit of pleasure i.e binge drinking, sexual perversion, extreme sports. Sexting, promotion of lesbians, gay, bisexual, Transgender rights. Gambling, lotteries, divorce etc.
List of Trend and Fads that are prevalent in the Church:
1. Rebellion: These days, many people have eroded their respect for the man of God on the grounds that they hear and speak to God directly. God put leaders in authority to equip you and He wants you to yield to that constituted authority. Romans 13:1; Titus 3:1; Hebrews 13:17
2. Greed: This vice is now trending in Church. Greed is not a holy attribute. You must try to avoid greed and remain contented with what you have. Godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6; Proverbs 15:27
3. Indecent dressing: Our dressing must lean more on substance than style. After Adam and Eve sinned, they realized they were naked and took leaves to cover themselves. Genesis 7:3. By the time God visited them, He was not pleased with their human effort at clothing, and then He covered them appropriately with tunic skin (beyond the knee). Genesis 3:21. The less you reveal, the better.
These are 3 suggestions for modest dressing viz;
(a) Ask yourself, what is my motive for wearing this?
(b) Ask yourself, will this dress provoke fleshly lust in another person?
(c) Ask yourself, does this dress reflect my profession of Godliness and the principles found in the Word of God.
4. Prayerlessness: It has become a trend that Christians no longer pray but resort to hiring prayer contractors. God says we should always pray. Luke 18:1; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
5. Proliferation of Churches: God desires Church planting, and not Church splitting; God abhors divisions. We must be careful in taking a decision about the church we attend; the Church must be founded on the fruits of the Spirit, not on the Gifts. 1 Corinthians 3:3
6. Fascination for the supernatural: People like signs, wonders and supernatural things and it has led many to evil; they love to see extraordinary manifestations in church and have fallen prey to fake pastors. You must rely on the Word of God. The Bible has everything you need.
7. Sexual perversions: These include all types of evil sexual behavior- lesbians, gays, bisexual etc. Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. God wants us to flee from all sexual immorality and perversion. 1 Corinthians 6:12
8. Divorce: God doesn’t want us to divorce. It is not his will. If you are having a problem with your marriage, try and seek help in Church. Register for the Marriage Enhancement Class(MEC). Malachi 2:6; Mathew 19:8; Proverbs 6:32
Let the world rebel or trend towards evil, but we MUST be holy and restrain yourself from joining the world.
Get this message on video and audio formats at the Church Office